Saturday 14 November 2009

SWEET BABY

I make so many birthday or anniversary cards for people that it made a nice change when a friend asked me to make a new baby card for someone.  A pram immediately sprang to mind so I set about drawing up a template in the shape of a pram.

All I did was draw a circle to fit a pre-scored square card (my card blank was 6x6").  I then cut out and folded the circle template in half, then in half again, opened it out and cut away one  1/4 section.  I then placed the remaining 3/4 section onto my folded card with the cut out section on the top right.  You need to ensure that you slightly overhang the left side of the template on the fold in the card to ensure that you keep a join.  I drew around the template and then cut it out. All you need to do then is decorate it.  I just covered the top portion with patterend paper.  I then used my Fiskars paper punch with textured white cardstock to make the pretty 'frill' round the edge.  I punched out four 1 3/4"  circles in matching patterend paper and fixed two in position on the front of the card (if the paper is flimsy, stick paper onto cardstock, allow to dry, then punch out.  It needs to be fairy thick cardstock in order to take the weight of the card and stand the card up).  I fixed the remaining two circles  to the back side of the card, carefully lining them up with the front ones.  I then added a couple of buttons to the front two 'wheels' and finished off by stamping a little sentiment from my new PTI stamp set (I just love these!), cutting out and attaching some ribbon with a stapler.  I fixed this to the front of the card with dimensional pads to make it pop off the card. Done! 

The only thing I didn't figure on was that by adding the wheels, the card was then too tall for my envelope - stupid me!  I had to make a new envelope by cutting down a bigger one to fit which was pretty easy but I've now adjusted the pram template I made to take into account the wheels so I don't have that little problem again!

I wanted to use bright and fresh colours instead of the traditional baby motifs so I went for a vibrant stripe which I think worked really well.  My friend was certainly pleased when I gave it to her.



I loved it when its was finished and I made a few more in blue tones and more neutral ones to add to my stash.

Have a good weekend all - the weather is truly awful here (in a very unsunny Pembrokeshire) and I have a dreadful cold. However, I am dosing myself up with all manner of cold remedies (none of which do a great deal!) and hoping to squeeze in a few crafty makes this afternoon - I try never to miss out on an opportunity to mess with paper!

Thanks so much for popping by.
Zoe x

1 comment:

  1. Really cute card, Zoe! I like your fresh, clean style and am not a bit surprised you did well with your first craft market.

    ReplyDelete